About Me

My photo
Living life somewhere along the transgender scale. Found life easier when I accepted me for who I am. Still get confused sometimes. Who wouldn't?

Saturday, 16 April 2011

Gaining strength from a most unusual situation

Heading home last night from work and I encountered what is probably a minor trans moment. As you probably know my look is blurring boundaries more nowadays, with plucked eyebrows, longer dyed hair, wider choice of earrings/studs and choosing to wear androgynous womens' jeans & tops when I choose to do so. I was having a bad hair day so opted to tie my hair back. Anyway I digress, After work, getting on the train to go home I was stood by the door watching the world go by whilst listening to some music on my mp3. Over the sound of the music I heard a woman's voice saying " Is that a man?" and the replies "It is!" I looked out of the corner of my eye to see two middle aged couples glancing over their shoulders at me then turning back and smirking. They weren't being overly open but everyone in the carriage could hear. It was then that I realised what I do in such situations. I wasn't embarrassed. Far from it. More bloody minded and determined to carry on as normal. It wasn't worth addressing them. Poor loves gave the impression they were visiting the big smoke, so I can forgive them their lack of London etiquette. Not sure where their narrow mindedness is based but let's hope yesterday was the start of their education that people like me exist. Here's hoping they start to see many more now and as such have begun their journey into the desensitisation of their views. I took the opportunity to look around the carriage to see if these comments were drawing any other looks or stares my way. Far from it and quite the opposite in fact. One young lady was looking at me with what can only be described as an empathic and strengthening gaze. Everyone else were fixed on the couples concerned with what only can be described as belittling and disbelieving glares.

That wont happen every time I'm sure if anything similar happens again, but I can draw strength from the fact I didn't let it affect me and the quiet non assuming reaction of the rest of the carriage.

No comments: