As you may know I am involved with the LGBT group in work, which is a new venture aimed at trying to get policies and procedures etc in place to support not only staff but the people who utilise our services. I was getting involved indirectly via the Equality and Diversity director, but I soon found it was difficult, wanting to say so much through a third party and quickly. So I arranged to meet the group Chair outside the office to discuss this and my reasons for wanting to join the group. Since then I have been attending the group meetings. I'm listed on the minutes as attending etc, which I don't strangely have a problem with. But what is not listed at the moment is that I'm the Transgender Lead. This is in part because I am still slightly insecure about this, but also because other leads feel similarly. It is an all or no-one listed kind of list. Though I have to admit I'm coming round to the idea. The director I used to liaise through said she admired me for openly joining within the group. I do feel safe within it as we all respect each other.
I am at present the only T person there, hence my role within the group. I realise just how much I don't know about T issues even though I am myself. Perhaps more though than the rest of the group. It's been interesting trying to just come up with definitions etc and seeing what other people assume. I do at times manage to stop myself from sounding like the only Trans person in the village, or like that scene in the Life of Brian in the Colosseum, (sometimes it is so difficult to avoid however).
I felt had to explain to my line manager what I was doing and why. She has been marvellously accepting and thanked me for feeling able to be open to her about it. It is something which is being kept in confidence.
This is a big task for me. I'm working in a not for profit organisation so some of what I do will have implications on the services and support we offer across England. Working for such an organisation in the current financial situation, means I have to concentrate mostly on keeping the team I lead as an ongoing concern and seen as something valuable to the organisation, before I can allot time to the LGBT stuff. A lot of juggling is needed. My role is changing irrespective of my time within the LGBT group and needs to for reasons said before. But this is also important to me. Time to spend additional time outside work if necessary.
No comments:
Post a Comment