About Me

My photo
Living life somewhere along the transgender scale. Found life easier when I accepted me for who I am. Still get confused sometimes. Who wouldn't?

Saturday, 17 July 2010

The Acting Bug

... did indeed bite again, but sooner than I imagined. I made the mistake of getting back on stage almost immediately after the last time. It wasn't intentional as I thought I was helping the director have someone that others auditioning could read against. In the end I was offered a part. As much as I enjoyed it I also hated it. It again took up a lot of my time, away from home when I should have been supporting my wife and son. I just wasn't able to put the time and concentration I would usually put in as my mind was elsewhere, where I should have been. My part had a lot of monologues and the character went through a lot of changes. The play was a comedy but my part was the darker side which the comedy could play against. I found I was still scrabbling for my lines at times even at the dress rehearsal. On the plus side, to play such a role was great and demanding in itself paradoxically, if you didn't have all else going on in your life. I learnt a lot. The play went down well, I didn't mess up and I'm told people saw me differently and my acting ability in a new positive light. I just think now I'm going to take some time out, (is this deja vu?). New plays are auditioning soon and they do look fun, but my wife needs some space to do something at the theatre herself.

I am however involved behind the scenes elsewhere for a show currently running. Props and scene building. Again a lot to do. I'm not getting it completely right, but learning all the time and the play is running fine. Oh the joys of retrospect, for which knowledge I lacked before. Soon it will be time to strike the stage in readiness for the next production. A blank sheet.

No comments: