The LGBT group in work has had its first meeting and the director overseeing it, true to her word, has kept me informed and I'm going to get indirectly involved in order to put some T perspective and input to it. Part of me feels I would really like to actually attend the meetings but that would involve some risk. Not necessarily with the other group members who I feel I could trust, but with the rest of my office. It is my team's job to know what is going on in the organisation and the meeting itself is on the main floor of the office which would require walking past everyone I know. It wouldn't take too long for people to put two and two together. The majority I know could handle it. One or two, from hearing past comments about other T people, would find me abhorrent, putting it mildly.
I think if I was on my own I could live with that, but again I have to consider my wife and son. Which brings me to wondering if I should ask my wife for permission to do this, or to keep things as an indirect contribution. To ask permission may sound abhorrent to some who think it is my life and I should do as I choose. Yes perhaps, but it has consequences on those who I love and I have to discuss it at the very least. This group is being set up in part to address these very issues as well as other more wide ranging ones. If my wife is uncomfortable then I will understand but I will still have the indirect input. A smaller step perhaps but a step all the same.
1 comment:
Its probably best to err on the side of caution, involve Mrs Grace if you are unsure...
Post a Comment