Given what I've said recently I thought I would follow something up with a charity which I believe was inadvertently ignoring the 'T' in its website. I should be quick to point out this wasn't the complete picture as they were very much aware of 'T' later in their particular web page. Basically they are a charity that supports people who live with mental illness. This web page had the heading "Gay and Lesbian Mental Health". After this they rightly point out that being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or non transgender is not a mental illness. But they do recognise that the effects of social stigma etc can have an effect on an individuals mental health, as it would on anyone.
So I decided to send an email, just to request if they would consider amending their heading on the web page to be inclusive of B & T and suggesting to do so would avoid additional angst or confusion to people worried about their experiences and who may not necessarily identify as either Gay or Lesbian.
The reply within a few hours was along the lines of "Dear Grace, Thank you very much for your feedback which is very much appreciated. We have amended our web page please take a look at this link..."
Hardly a crusade or lengthy campaign. But it shows how sometimes bringing something to someones attention is all that is needed. Doubt I'll be going out now looking for lots more things to change. But I feel a bit more confident should a similar need arise again.
No comments:
Post a Comment