About Me

My photo
Living life somewhere along the transgender scale. Found life easier when I accepted me for who I am. Still get confused sometimes. Who wouldn't?

Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Catching Up

OK so I was rubbish this time at keeping an advent calendar going. In my defence I had a lot on. At the end of each day I just didn’t have the energy to do anything else apart from fall asleep on the sofa. This was not a bad thing I might add.

Think I might take a break from the theatre for a short while though. It feels right to take some time with the family now while we can. We’ve been trying to build some support networks at home, reconnecting with those people around us who mean a lot. Appreciating friendship when it is there. Christmas I thought was going to be heavy, but I was proved wrong. For that I am thankful and for some new support from within the family. The endeavour for more networking needs to continue. I… We need it.

Last week I put myself forward to become a live donor for my wife when that time comes, (whenever that may be). Now I have to wait for tests etc to be arranged. All to see if this will be possible. I’m told around 80% of prospective donors are turned down simply because of their own unsuitability for surgery etc. This is alongside seeing if there are enough compatibility factors to make a decent transplant success. I have to admit to having read a lot of leaflets in a short while recently, so I’m trying to avoid using too much terminology here. So now I have to prepare myself for the what ifs? What if I’m not suitable, or compatible? What if the transplant is rejected if it was to go ahead? These are some of the questions that need to be asked along with a few more I’m sure. We've recently gone to a Transplant Information Programme meeting which will gave us the opportunity to meet other people who have done the same. We had already done the one on the different types of dialysis, and I was glad there were a few more people this time who are more our age who have experienced some of the same things as we have and are. While it is nice to discuss things with Mr Jones and Mrs Smith, shall we say, who are in their 70’s, you do feel more out of water than maybe you should.

As an aside if the transplant were to go ahead, my wife and I have joked that at last at least one piece of me will be all woman! If it transpires I have both a sparkly and a plain kidney I get to keep the sparkly one too! If anything will help to make a transplant a success this has to be up there surely?

Getting a work-life balance at the moment is looking slightly strained. Things are starting to look very tight money-wise with us becoming more reliant on my, what was the second, wage in the family. Even with cuts to our budget we may not have enough. I’m loathed to take a weekend job as that would in effect lessen my time at home when it is needed more. A temporary one perhaps, if needs must, as and when. I’ll take a look at some agency work and see what’s available perhaps. In work, things continue to work towards change. Still waiting to see what that entails and if that creates added workload & pressure. My colleague of 4 years has left leaving me with some new people to mould etc on my own. While I will miss her I’m also quite enjoying the challenge as it is a change to the usual mundane things that have been part of my job of late. Work however has been quite accommodating of what is going on at home which is good. I just need to make sure these newbies are supported while I’m out of the office and aren’t too strained by all this either.

Well that's it for now. I'll try and be a bit better at updating this blog this year.

No comments: