About Me

My photo
Living life somewhere along the transgender scale. Found life easier when I accepted me for who I am. Still get confused sometimes. Who wouldn't?

Friday, 10 April 2009

Flower Power


Just thought I would share this with you. A moment that probably might seem inconsequential at first but something for me which was one that touched me so deeply and will be something I'll probably never forget.

The moment in question...? My wife bought me a single white rose.

"Not red?" I hear you ask. No. Not red. I don't particularly have an affinity with red roses which my wife understands. Life is like a rose. There are so many colours and variations to be found. Look around and you will see. Red is not the only colour.

Back to why this meant so much. It wasn't a big occasion. There wasn't anything behind it, (say to soften me up perhaps so I will agree to look after Junior while my wife has a girls' night out). It was bought on impulse, (which in my opinion makes it even more special) and simply to say she loves me. That you might think is more than enough to mean so much. But there was more that made it so, so special.

When my wife gave me the rose in the quiet and unassuming way that she did, my heart skipped a beat. And with that skip I all at once experienced so much. So much so, that the brief internal silence echoed in the way that an all encompassing silence can and resonates with me still and will probably never leave me. This moment touched me on so many levels. It connected with me as a whole person. Something that is very rare for me as someone experiencing life somewhere on the transgendered scale. Yes there was so much that meant a lot to me as Grace, the feminine appreciation that my wife had bought me a beautiful flower and all that goes with it internally. But there was also the connection to me as a husband, a partner. The fact that she felt comfortable to give me the rose, knowing I wouldn't be squirming in macho discomfort when she did. The fact that I didn't feel uncomfortable, but instead very, very touched.

At that moment I felt whole. I recognised the complete me, however briefly it was and however deeply I usually keep it psychologically and socially buried. I saw who I am completely. I just don't show it or experience it often. Just very rarely, at times like this I am me, neither feminine or masculine, but both experienced alongside one another. Complete.

Soppy? Romantic? Plain mixed up and in need of some therapy? Perhaps. It is so difficult to explain this from the point of view of someone like myself living life in a transgendered way. It is hard enough having to experience it first hand. So explaining what it is like to live within blurred gender boundaries to someone else, can come across as confusing.

It meant a lot. I think you can gather that and maybe some of you may identify with this. A special moment that will be with me for time to come. I need to reciprocate and buy my wife some flowers too. To show her just how special she is.

1 comment:

chrissieB said...

"Soppy? Romantic? Plain mixed up and in need of some therapy? "

Romantic and beautiful, I think... :)

luv
chrissie
xxxx